Designing an iOS mobile app to track and rescue
people with dementia
Timeline: 3 months
Team: I worked with a team of four UX designers, developers, Product Manager, and the CEO of the startup.
My role: I took the lead in creating a design system and usability testing.
Tools: Sketch, InVision, Zeplin, Confluence, JIRA, Trello
Design an iOS version of the Android app
AlzCare Labs is a startup that creates products for the caregivers of people with dementia. Their primary offering, PreSafe, is a keychain device that will work in conjunction with a mobile app, allowing caregivers to track their carepartner's location and send a rescue alert to their community.
The goal was to design an iOS mobile app, based on the Android app (previously branded as FindMe).
An iOS mobile app that mirrors the Android app, and has more capabilities
The iOS app followed the overall style and flow of the Android app. However, due to changes in strategic direction towards the end of the project, the iOS app ended up being more robust.
The app is in the final stage of development and will release in the App Store this year.
Building a design system
In the kickoff meeting, I identified the need for a design system to ensure consistency and better organization. The resulting UI kit was designed based on Apple's Human Interface Guidelines and the visual style of the Android app.
Designing a comprehensive carepartner rescue flow
The design of the rescue screens involved creating flows for the entire process: sending and receiving a rescue alert to the community, tracking the rescue in progress and resolving an alert.
Partnering with developers
As we worked in an Agile environment, collaborating with developers was critical. I put together the developer handoff document which included annotated wireframes and Zeplin links. I also attended sprint reviews to clarify design requirements and identify development constraints.
Testing designs with users & iterating for clarity
I led usability testing by creating a plan for the team that outlined user goals, target audience and deadlines. I wrote tasks, reviewed the tasks that the team created and ensured that the flow of screens that the team uploaded to InVision matched the intended user experience. In addition, I prepared a usability testing script and a spreadsheet to capture results.
I conducted usability testing, analyzed results and made refinements based on user feedback.
This was a great project to work on! It stretched my abilities both in user experience design and leadership. Here are my takeaways:
Tradeoffs in design are inevitable
Throughout the design process and after usability testing, the team identified many aspects of the app that could be improved upon. However, given the tight deadline, we had to work on those designs that could be developed quickly and set aside the rest for the next version of the app.
Also, due to limited funding, we ended up using Android icons in the iOS app and planned to update icons at a later date.
Designers need to be flexible and nimble
Things change rapidly in a startup. Right as we getting ready to conduct usability testing, the strategic direction changed and that meant we had to redesign the primary interface of the app. After clarifying requirements, I worked with the team to quickly design a new solution.
Taking leadership broadens your capabilities
When I saw the need for a design system, I volunteered to put it together. I also took the lead on usability testing. Taking a leadership role enabled me to think not only about tasks, but also process. I learned to anticipate challenges that my team would face, find solutions for problems and offer constructive feedback.